Welcome!

This blog is to show people what it's really like to live with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 18. When I was diagnosed, I searched the web and found very few accounts showing the difficulties of dealing with this disease at such a young age. On top of this, there were NONE that described the college experience living with RA, which has inpired me to start this! I hope my account can provide hope and support to RA fighters of all ages, and especially to those who have just been diagnosed!

Monday, January 16, 2012

College!

While reviewing my blog, I realized that I am missing a very important part 
of my concept, College Life!

Flagstaff, Arizona

Background:

I am currently a freshman studying Business Economics at Northern Arizona University in the tiny town of Flagstaff, AZ! It is about 150 miles away from my family in Phoenix, AZ, and it has definitely been quite a change. If you know anything about Arizona, you automatically think of 100 degree heat in the desert (aka Phoenix weather). Flagstaff however, is quite the opposite. Sure, it gets hot, but it has been pretty chilly for the 5 months that I have lived here. It has snowed quite a bit, and according to USATODAY, it is the 5th snowiest city in the United States!!

My walk to class in the mornings

Moving soon after starting MTX has also been an interesting part of my journey. I started the medication a few weeks before coming up here, and had to quickly adjust! I was a little nervous at all the walking I would have to do on campus, and my excercise class, but it is all going very well.

Sorry for the mess! We have three people living in a two person dorm. The university overbooked the housing... but I'd have to say, I have two great roomates and it is actually a lot of fun... besides the fact that we have to share closets! 


Living in a dorm was also one thing that I was a bit afraid of. Before starting methotrexate, it took a great deal of energy to even get up in the mornings, and I suppose I was afraid that that's how it would be in college. My morning stiffness was aweful. I didn't want to be the roomate who always slept all the time and had constant health problems. (Although I did tend to sleep all the time first semester due to late night studying!). And although it has been good so far, there are definitely times where my ra flares up pretty badly. During these, I keep my knee brace ready, and have the constant support of my family and roomates. They are aware of my difficulties and are always there to help! It is a challenge, but it is one worth fighting for. 

I'll add more soon, tomorrow is the first day of our second semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment