Welcome!

This blog is to show people what it's really like to live with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 18. When I was diagnosed, I searched the web and found very few accounts showing the difficulties of dealing with this disease at such a young age. On top of this, there were NONE that described the college experience living with RA, which has inpired me to start this! I hope my account can provide hope and support to RA fighters of all ages, and especially to those who have just been diagnosed!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Cortisone Injection

My story.

About two weeks ago, I went to my rheumy for a checkup. While there, he noticed that my right knee was pretty inflamed, and suggested that I have a cortisone operation. Trusting his opinion, I readily agreed.

And oh. my. god.

They first cleaned off my knee with a large amount of iodine, prepared the needle, and set everything up. He then had his assistant spray a freezing stream of water onto the area right as he punctured the skin. 

After this point, they usually insert the 2 inch needle completely into your joint, and remove any fluid. After your knee is fully drained, they inject the medication. However, here's what happened in my case: 


You see how there is very little room between the area the needle needs to go, and the bone? Yeah. My  rheumy (who I love to death) had marked my knee a bit too low, and when he went in, he hit the lower bone. It was probably the most painful thing I have ever felt. After realizing that he had scraped along it, he pulled out a bit of fluid, and quickly took it out. He then injected my knee with a numbing medication, and did the procedure again, but slightly higher. After successfully getting the medication in, my knee was like a balloon. It was swollen with the medication, and throbbed whenever I bet it. It was like this for the next day and a half, and even though this process was not exactly a cup of tea, it did help. It was almost incredible how much it improved, it was almost as if I didn't even have any joint damage at all! If he ever suggests one of these again, I will definitely be getting it done, but with the numbing medication first this time. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks! Today the pain level is pretty high again, but I’m hoping tomorrow I will feel some relief. The shots better work considering how much pain I’m in! Haha aren’t the Animal Crossing Manga the cutest things ever!! I don’t know why we never get any of this awesome stuff in the U.S. lol!! They will be so fun to read! I was just flipping through them last night and it was so cool seeing all the familiar villagers! There are supposedly other Animal Crossing manga as well, but I’ll stick with this one first!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Wonderful post!!! Genuinely loved this kind of post. Although I want much more information on like precious subject matter.

    Regards,
    Cortisone Injection

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your story. This is a little bit of my story. I’m excited to discover this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!

    Regards,
    Cortisone Injection in West Malling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    We read each and everything as per written in your post. Thank you for this article because it’s really informative, I love reading your blog. 

    Regards,
    Cortisone Injection in Maidstone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog is nice and much interesting which engaged me more.Spend a wonderful time,keep updating more.

    Regards,
    Cortisone Injection for Knee Pain

    ReplyDelete