Welcome!

This blog is to show people what it's really like to live with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 18. When I was diagnosed, I searched the web and found very few accounts showing the difficulties of dealing with this disease at such a young age. On top of this, there were NONE that described the college experience living with RA, which has inpired me to start this! I hope my account can provide hope and support to RA fighters of all ages, and especially to those who have just been diagnosed!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

7 years too long.

I'm not sure if I posted this on here or not, but I was a long time vegetarian. I had decided to give up meat at age 11 and was keeping strong! That is until about 2 months ago. I have not written about this, but all year I have felt a sort of insatiable hunger while in Flagstaff. I was not sure if this was due to the climate change, and my bodies need to burn more calories in order to stay warm, or if I was simply more active. However, eating more and bigger portions satisfied this feeling at first, but soon was not enough. I began craving high protein foods and carbohydrates such as peanut butter and breads, but was still not relieved. Eventually I actually began craving meat. And not just the occasional desire for a taste it, but actual CRAVINGS. It was then that I decided that this was my bodies way of telling me that I'm not giving it what it wants. My nutrition was not exactly at it's peak, and the fact that I clearly wasn't giving my body what it needed were my ultimate deciding factors. I tried to substitute other forms of proteins and the missing fats into my diet, but the results were not enough.

On a random night in April, we went to McDonalds, and I caved. Yes, I know it's McDonalds and possibly the worst fast food health wise and abuse wise, but I could not stand it any longer. The chicken nuggets would be easy to digest considering they are hardly chicken and I just had to have them.

I cannot even being to describe how much it has positively affected my health. I feel 100x better than I used to, and I never even considered my nutrition to be a factor. My hair and skins condition have greatly increased, and my strength has as well. I now have a much higher endurance and stamina levels, and my insatiable hunger has vanished.

It does however not exactly make me happy morally to be eating animals again, but I have found that I cannot go back to my vegetarian lifestyle due to the health benefits.


No comments:

Post a Comment